- Collection and Use of Personal Information of Children Under Age 13
- The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") requires that we inform parents and legal guardians about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information from children under 13 years of age; and that we obtain the consent of parents and guardians in order for children under 13 years of age to use certain features of our Web site. Therefore, in accordance with the COPPA, The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com will not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen (13) without first obtaining parental consent. Prior to providing any personally identifiable information (your name, email address, address, phone number etc.), either by placing an order for merchandise, setting up a Nerdel.com account (Nerdel.com registration), entering a contest or sweepstakes (if eligible), or participating in any other activity offered through the Nerdel.com site, children under the age of thirteen (13) must have a parent or legal guardian give us their consent in the ways we explain below in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section. Please note that when we use the term "parent" below, we mean to include legal guardians.
- Children’s Advertising Review Unit.
It is also The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com’s intention to adhere to the Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) Guidelines on Internet advertising with its special sensitivities regarding solicitations to children under thirteen (13). The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com encourages parents/guardians to supervise and join their children in exploring cyberspace. The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com are proud of its Web site and believes that it is suitable for The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com fans of all ages.
- Children’s Information and Third-Party Sponsors.
Occasionally, The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com may ask, on a voluntary basis and with prior parental permission, if appropriate, for personal information to provide to sponsors of particular activities and/or products. This will be made clear in each individual case where we have third-party sponsors. In the event children under the age of thirteen (13) are eligible, with parental consent, to participate in contests, sweepstakes or other activities offered through our site, we will only collect and use information (e.g., email address, mailing address, name, age) to the extent that it is necessary to administer the activity. We will never require that, as a condition of participation, a child disclose more information than is necessary to participate in an activity.
- Failure to Obtain Parental Permission.
Please note that if a parent does not permit The Nerdel Company or Nerdel.com’s use or collection of personally identifiable information or has instructed The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com to delete personally identifiable information, a child’s participation in those Nerdel.com activities for which the personally identifiable information has been requested may not be possible.
- Personal Information Disclosure to Third Parties.
The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com will not disclose personally identifiable information collected from children under the age of thirteen (13) (or from adults for that matter) to third parties unless indicated otherwise or in special cases where The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com have reason to believe that disclosure is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference (whether intentionally or unintentionally) with The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com’s rights or property or anyone else who may be harmed by such actions or if required by law.
- Parental Monitoring and Control Tools.
The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com recommend that parents/guardians monitor and supervise the online activities of their children and to consider using available parental control tools which can prevent children from disclosing their name, address, and other personal information without parental permission. Visitors to The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com’s Web site who are under thirteen (13) years old should not be submitting any personal information like their name, address, e-mail address, phone number etc. without a parent’s or guardian’s permission.
- What types of personal information do we collect about children?
Children can surf Nerdel.com, view content, and play many games without any personal information being collected. We do not collect personal information from children unless they register on our site. Typically, children will register in order to participate in sweepstakes or contests or to participate in a special activity, or receive e-mails. The only information we collect from children during our registration process is a child’s first name, parent’s e-mail address, child’s birth date, member name, and password. We collect birth dates to validate the ages of our guests, including children. We do not collect any other personally identifiable information from children during our registration process. We also will collect a child’s e-mail address from a parent for the purpose of sending the child e-mail related to a subscription. For example, we would send our newsletter to a child directly at the request of the child’s parent. Note that all sites that are directed to children under 13 are prohibited by law from conditioning a child’s participation in an online activity on the child’s providing more personal information than is reasonably necessary.
We may collect personal information from parents in order to allow children to participate in certain features located on our Web site and within our children’s subscription products. These features may include one to one instant message chatting, sending e-mail, posting on message boards, and other similar activities. In the course of a child’s participation in these features, a child may also provide us additional information about himself or herself, such as the contents of his or her chat or message board postings. If a parent allows us to collect personal information about their child, we may link certain information collected through technology to that personal information.
- How do we use and share the personally identifiable information that we have collected about children?
If a child registers for a sweepstakes or contest, we use the parent’s e-mail address to notify the parent of the child’s registration request (as described in detail below in our answer to Question 3). To personalize communications to a child regarding a specific product, we may use the child’s first name combined with the parent’s last name and a mailing address provided by the parent when signing up for that specific product. We may collect a child’s e-mail address from the parent in order to send the child a newsletter. In addition, personal information regarding a child may be collected and used to enable a child’s participation in certain interactive features such as instant message chatting, sending e-mail, posting on message boards and other similar activities. These activities may involve disclosure of a child’s personal information to third parties. In addition, we may share a child’s personal information with third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to: protect the security of integrity of our site; to take precautions against liability; to respond to judicial process; or to the extent permitted under provisions of law, to provide information to law enforcement agencies or for an investigation related to public safety.
- What types of personal information do we collect about children?
- How do we notify and obtain consent from parents for the collection of information from their children?
We send parents an e-mail when their child registers at Nerdel.com. We provide parents 48 hours to accept their child’s registration by clicking on the e-mail link provided thereby acknowledging acceptance of their child’s registration and use of the features provided on Nerdel.com. If the parent refuses to accept the child’s registration, we delete the child’s information from our database. If the parent responds by e-mail and gives such consent, we then follow that communication with an e-mail confirmation to the parent and allow the child to participate in the activities provided on Nerdel.com.
Once a child has registered at Nerdel.com with parental acceptance and acknowledgement, personal information may be collected from children when they participate in activities such as blogging, posting of pictures and video & or one to one instant message chatting.
- How can parents access, change or delete personally identifiable information about their children?
At any time parents can refuse to permit us to collect further personal information from their child and can request that any personal information we have collected be deleted from our records. We use two methods to allow parents to change, or delete the personally identifiable information that we have collected from their children. A parent can change, or delete his or her child’s personal information by the following:
- A parent can contact our customer service department to access, change, or delete the personal information that we have collected from his or her child by sending an e-mail to onlineprivacy@Nerdel.com. Please include the child’s member name and the parent’s e-mail address in the e-mail so that we can better assist you with your inquiry or request.
- Consent may be revoked by completing a "The Nerdel Company and Nerdel.com Revocation of Parental Consent Form" and sending it to us by postal mail.
The Nerdel Company, LLC.
1000 West McNab Road
Pompano Beach, Florida 33069